Just because you can see your site on a mobile device doesn’t mean it’s mobile-friendly. When your site appears on a mobile device, it should:
- Load in 5 seconds or less
- Be easy to navigate without pinching or zooming
- Not require scrolling in both directions to see the site
- Include links and buttons that are “thumb-friendly”
- Show your phone number prominently
- Not include missing or broken pictures
If you want a quick, easy, free way to see what your website would look like if it were truly mobile-friendly, check it out GoMo (www.HowToGoMo.com). Hit the “Get Started” link at the top, then “Build Your Site.” Enter your URL, and voila – you can view your home page converted specifically for mobile. If you thought your current site was good enough to get by on mobile, you may be in for a shock.
GoMo offers free professionally designed customizable mobile templates and one year of hosting at no charge. As of this writing, ecommerce sites cannot be converted with GoMo. Use the tool to have a look at your home page anyway – it’s quite informative!