As the year draws to an end, it’s time to review what worked and what didn’t, and plan the year ahead. Do you set the same goals year after year, without ever reaching them? Do you simply hope for the best, without ever setting goals? Here are 5 key strategies for taking success into your own hands:
1. Write Your Goals Down. It’s not surprising that most people don’t reach their goals; most people never even set them. Consider what you want to accomplish in 2012 and write it down. That one step will put you way ahead of 95% of the population.
2. Keep Your Goals in Front of You. I keep mine in a plastic sleeve on top of my desk, where I see them every day. A bulletin board or your bathroom mirror can be just as effective. Unless you keep your goals top of mind, they’re likely to take a back burner to putting out fires, and endless small tasks that won’t take your business to the next level.
3. Take Small Steps. Some “stretch” goals can appear so daunting that tackling them is discouraging. Break them down into a series of small, manageable steps. Every week, do something to bring you closer to each goal. Celebrate your accomplishments along the way. Before you know it, the seemingly impossible will be very much within reach.
4. Avoid the Naysayers. Some people cling to the status quo. After all, if you don’t try, then it’s impossible to fail! Their reaction is often to find fault with every new idea — often couched with the caveat “I’m only being realistic.” Learn to recognize the people around you with this personality type, and don’t share your goals with them. You’ll only let their insecurity get in the way of your accomplishments.
5. Develop a Support Team. Reaching your goals can be far easier when you have people who understand you and your business to support you, brainstorm with you, challenge you, hold you accountable, and cheer you on.
Such a support team can take many different forms, including mastermind groups and business coaching. Our new Garden Industry Peer Success Group incorporates both, giving you a wealth of support at an extremely affordable price. Registration closes Thursday, December 1, so find out more and register now!