As if social media marketing didn’t present enough new material to master, here comes another: mobile marketing. Ignore it at your peril. Google mobile searches have increased 5 times in the last two years. By 2013, half of all web traffic is anticipated to come through mobile devices.
At the recent Direct Gardening Association conference, Danielle Leitch of MoreVisibility gave garden industry marketers an excellent primer on what they need to do to get ready. Among her key points:
• You don’t have to jump in with both feet. For instance, consider a simple mobile application, or a product catalog without m-commerce, as a place to start.
• Check Google Analytics to determine what types of mobile devices your customers are using to view your site, and how big a factor they are.
• QR codes can help drive visitors to your mobile site.
• Customize your paid search campaigns specifically for mobile users. You’ll get more bang for your buck.
• Getting started with mobile marketing costs less than you may think. You may be able to get started for between $200 and $2,000.
• Don’t feel bad if you’ve ignored mobile marketing so far. You’re not behind the curve…yet.
How about you? Is mobile marketing in your plans for 2011?