If you’re ever stumped for ideas on newsletter topics or blog posts, head on over to Pinterest and search for gardening related topics. Not only is Pinterest a visual wonderland, but you can also see which pins are most popular. Each post indicates the number of repins and likes, and shows any comments from other Pinterest users.
The most popular gardening pins tend to fall in one of two categories: how-to advice and clever repurposing of inexpensive items.
I just did a quick scan for posts that had more than 5,000 repins each – that’s a lot of repinning! Among the how-to pins were these:
• Make a mini greenhouse (5,042 repins)
• Choose companion plants (5,240 repins)
• Test your soil conditions in a Mason jar (5,311 repins)
• Easy tips for growing strawberries (6,294 repins)
• How to choose plants for your first vegetable garden (8,629 repins)
Among the most popular pins based on clever repurposing of inexpensive items were these:
• Building a garden bench from old pallets (5,155 repins)
• Landscaping with colored glass from the dollar store, instead of gravel (5,364 repins)
• Using glow-in-the-dark paint as a landscaping accent (7,195 repins)
• Using a garage as the fourth wall of a raised bed garden (9,980 repins)
• Making a hanging birdbath from a grapevine wreath and a plant saucer (10,819 repins)
Pinterest is completely searchable by subject, so look for topics that relate to what you sell. Then notice which pins garner the most likes and repins, and you’ll gain some great insight into what grabs the attention of your customers and prospects.