I received an order from Bluestone Perennials yesterday, and one of their package inserts in particular caught my eye. It addressed the question of recycling and sustainability not one, not two, but five different ways:
1. Bluestone starts by acknowledging that, for safe delivery of plants, they have not been able to completely replace packing peanuts. However, they note that their peanuts are 100% C.F.C. free (C.F.C.’s being chlorofluorocarbons that deplete the ozone layer) and are made from 100% recycled polystyrene.
2. Their packing peanuts are Green-Cross Certified. Green Cross Certification Company is an independent not-for-profit advisory service that verifies environmental claims about products to ensure they meet high performance standards.
3. Bluestone will send a voucher for free shipping on a future purchase to any customer who returns their packing material – peanuts, air pouches and box – for recycling.
4. The insert notes that most UPS Store locations also accept peanuts for recycling.
5. The insert lists a phone number to call to locate a recycling center near you.
Way to go, Bluestone Perennials!