I buy nearly all my plants by mail, and save the packing slips so I know exactly what I ordered – and from where, and in case I want to buy more. I recently looked through quite a stack of them, and was surprised at the opportunities being squandered.
Only 60% of the packing slips thanked me for my order; shame on the other 40%! A few of the smaller nurseries actually hand wrote a “thank you” on the packing slip, a nice touch. Two of the nurseries included care instructions right on the packing slip, which is certainly helpful.
I was especially impressed with the lone company that included a few sentences on their packing slip about the benefits of subscribing to their enewsletter. It’s a great place to mention your blog, forum or Facebook page too.
Including a “thank you” and a little soft sell on your packing slips doesn’t cost you a penny extra, so why not give it a try?