Here’s an interesting web site you might find useful: www.quantcast.com. After you enter a web site URL, Quantcast returns both demographic data and traffic estimates for the site in question. I haven’t investigated exactly how it works, but the results seem to be remarkably accurate.
The demographic profile it provides includes:
• Presence of children
• Education level
• Household income
In addition, it shows you:
• Approximate web site traffic by month
• Probable lifestyle preferences
• Percentage of regular web site visitors, “addicts” (more than 30 visits per month) and “passers-by”
• Other web sites your visitors are also likely to visit
• Keywords visitors are likely to search for
What’s more, Quantcast allows you to compare monthly traffic data for your site to any other site you specify.
I’d be curious to hear if you find Quantcast as surprisingly accurate as I have.